Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

L.A Foodie Date

We haven’t done one of these types of dates where we drive around and find new places to eat in a while, and we picked a hot weekend to do it. *face palm* but it was fun regardless of the heat.  We started out going to a park near my house to figure out our plan for the day, see what we wanted to do, but we ended up spending about an hour catching Pokemon haha. After realizing the time we hit the road to Smorgasburg in downtown LA.  It is a relatively new event that started sometime in June of this year.  They have many food vendors, a bar, and other vendors selling merchandise.  We didn’t try that many things because the heat was crazy hot and some lines were pretty long.  If we ever come back I’d probably try to get there earlier so that we wouldn’t have to wait as long. 



Smorgasburg is at the Alameda Produce Market, it is every Sunday, from 10 am to 5 pm. (new hours; used to be until 6pm) Admission is free and free 2 hour parking at the parking garage located on Alameda and Bay.

I finally got to try this drink I keep seeing on Instagram from the vendors POPUP most of their drink has the option to be a soda or tea version.  I got Lychee Butterflypea soda, the lychee flavor came out strong which I loved!  There is also a hint of coconut water and club soda added for the bubbles.

Next my boyfriend got this soft shell crab burger which I did not like.  I did like the sauce that was covering the crab but the sauce was hot so it was a little difficult to grab and eat the burger.  I ended up just taking the crab out and biting it.  It had a strong ocean taste like you can taste the pier and not much meat.  So not a fan but whatever that sauce was, was good I ate it with the chips that came with it.

Next up is Mama Musubi, which was also just ok.  We ordered the bbq beef and the mama special which from what I remembered has shrimp, imitation crab, and something else I can’t remember.  Both lacking in flavor, the furikaka which is a rice seasoning and the nori (sea weed) kind of took over the flavor. 

The last thing we got which! By the way is something I’ve always wanted to try! It is called the raindrop cake.  People say the jello cake it self taste like nothing, but I liked it!  If you really try to taste it there is a hint of sweetness but nothing noticeable.  Defiantly have to eat it with the black sugar syrup which I believe is called Kuromitsu syrup.  The sweetness over the jello cake was delicious in my opinion.  The Kinako (soy flour) on the other hand, I wasn’t that big of a fan off, just a little dip here and there it was perfect.

After we left Smorgasburg we got Honey Boba, I got Passion fruit - Pineapple Ice crystals and my boyfriend got Passion fruit ice crystal which is basically a slush. It was our first time trying this place and it was good, very refreshing on a hot day.  The boba itself was good too.

We were going to hang out at the park but notice that there was 2 lures up at the pokestop across the street so we decided to park in the middle of both and catch Pokemons before deciding to eat at Melt it! and Dog Haus.

At Melt it! We got a Philly “grilled cheese” steak sandwich and a grilled cheese pizza which was their special that day. At Dog Haus we got Downtown Dog which is a smoked bacon wrapped dog, with caramelized onions, pickled peppers, mayo, mustard, and ketchup. We also got Das Brat and that is a bratwurst with whole grain mustard aioli, sauerkraut, and caramelized onions.

I didn’t like the Philly grilled cheese steak that much but I did like the grilled cheese pizza.  As for Dog Haus, Downtown dog was the winner for me although I did like the bratwurst in Das Brat but not a fan of sauerkraut.

After our meal we drove around some more and ended up at a random park to kill some time before our movie and wow I’ve never seen so many Pokemon players.  Whenever someone found something the whole crowd follows.  I can see why there has been plenty of accidents involving this game.  A car was pulling into a parking spot and this girl just walked right through it with her face glued to the phone not realizing she almost got hit.
I've never been to a Dine-in movie theater and this one had reclining seats and it was awesome! The seats were so comfortable and roomy! I wanted to try something new instead of my usual flavor margarita so I got a blueberry margarita and it was sour but addicting. We watched Star Trek Beyond.  It was a good movie, some parts reminded me of Guardian of the Galaxy and the first Star wars movie put together.

Well that was our date day, it was fun even if it was extremely hot.  I've included a link below to my Youtube Channel.  I am learning how to edit videos in an attempt to vlog, although I am shy maybe vlogging will push me out there to get over it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment